Tips for First Time Moms
Becoming a first-time parent can be both exciting and overwhelming. Here are some tips to help you navigate this new chapter in your life:
- Prepare for the unknown. No matter how much you read or how many classes you take, nothing can fully prepare you for the experience of being a parent. Try to let go of expectations and be open to the unexpected.
- Rest when you can. Taking care of a new baby is a full-time job, and it can be exhausting. Make sure you take time to rest when you can, whether it’s during the day or at night. Even if it means going to bed at 8pm. That first chunk of sleep will give you energy to survive the 3-4am feeding .
- Ask for help. Don’t be afraid to ask friends and family for help, whether it’s with cooking, cleaning, or just holding the baby while you take a break. If you do not have anyone around to help you and you are able to hire help, do it.
- Take care of yourself. Remember to take care of yourself physically and emotionally. Eating well, getting enough sleep, and finding time for exercise are important for your overall well-being. Even if this means, putting on fresh clothes, and going for a walk to get fresh air and vitamin D.
- Make time for yourself and your partner. Being a new parent can put a lot of strain on your relationship. Make sure you find time to connect with your partner and remember why you decided to start a family in the first place.
- Trust your instincts. You know your baby better than anyone else, so trust your instincts when it comes to caring for them. If something doesn’t feel right, don’t hesitate to call your doctor or seek advice from a trusted source.
- Enjoy the journey. Being a parent is one of the most rewarding experiences you will ever have. Try to take a step back and enjoy the journey, even when it’s hard, like the saying goes “this too, shall pass.”
Remember, every parent and every baby is different, so don’t compare yourself to others. Trust in yourself and your abilities as a parent and you will do great!
If you are looking for a photographer in the NYC area and have any questions feel free to contact me!
Shirly Schvartzman Photography specializes in newborn, and child photography in Brooklyn New York NYC and surrounding areas including but not limited to Brooklyn, NY.
Check out my recent work at my FACEBOOK page or Instagram!